Amanda received her Masters of Science in Education from Simmons College in 2007, her Board Certification as a Behavior Analyst in 2008, and her PhD in Behavior Analysis in 2013, also from Simmons College. Amanda has experience working in-homes, as well as in private and public schools, integrated centers and residential facilities. Presently, Amanda serves as Coordinator of ABA Consultation Services for the SEEM Collaborative in Stoneham, MA where she is responsible for coordinating school and home-based behavior consultation services for 10-member and several non-member districts. Amanda is also involved in coordinating continuing education events that are hosted at the collaborative.
In March 2012, Amanda chaired a presentation at the 2nd Annual MassABA conference entitled, "Parent and Participant Perspectives". At the most recent annual ABA:I conference in May 2012, Amanda presented in a panel discussion entitled, "Harmonizing School, Work, & Life" and a poster entitled "Tapping the Natural Environment to Promote Graphing Skills". Amanda also accepted the position of Chair of the ABA:I Dissemination of Behavior Analysis-Special Interest Group (DBA-SIG) for 2012 as well as 2013. In August 2012, Amanda served on the ABA:I planning committee for the Behavior Change for a Sustainable World (BCSW) conference, where she also presented a poster entitled "Using Global Go Green Initiatives to Guide Future Practices with the US". In October 2012 at BABAT, Amanda presented her dissertation research as well as chaired an ethics panel. In March 2013, she also presented at the 3rd Annual MassABA at Bentley University in Waltham, MA.
Amanda has demonstrated her true passion for ABA in many forums: she is active in advocating with her legislators, having attended several of the events calling for passage of the Autism Insurance Legislation (ARICA) as well as the Behavior Analyst Licensing bill in the Massachusetts State House.
Specialties: Amanda presents useful (e.g., data sheets, suggestions for preparing for the BCBA exam) and entertaining (ABA comics) information on her website Behaviorbabe.com. She also posts links to articles relevant to ABA on Facebook and LinkedIn and participates in and leads #ABAChat discussions on Twitter.
You can access her current CV here.
2012 Jerry Shook Practitioner of the Year Award
Berkshire Association for Behavior Analysis and Therapy (BABAT)
In 2011, the Berkshire Association for Behavior Analysis and Therapy (BABAT) introduced the Practitioner of the Year Award to recognize the accomplishments of an exceptional practitioner in the New England area. This year the Award has been renamed the "Jerry Shook Practitioner Award" in memory of Dr. Jerry Shook, founder and CEO of the behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) and a founding director of APBA. Dr. Shook's founding of the BACB has had a positive impact on the lives of thousands of practitioners and those they serve. The recipient of the first annual Jerry Shook Practitioner Award is Amanda N. Kelly.
Guest Lecturer, 4/2013, Teaching with Acoustical Guidance (TAG), Bay Path College, Applied Behavior Analysis Graduate Program, Longmeadow & Burlington, MA
Adjunct Professor, 1/2013-Present, Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), Granite State College, Special Education Graduate Program, Portsmouth, NH
Guest Lecturer, 8/2012, Overview of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), Salem State University, Special Education Graduate Program, Salem, MA
Adjunct Professor, 9/2010-5/2011, Intro to Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), Bay Path College, Special Education Graduate Program, Sturbridge & Longmeadow, MA
Adjunct Professor, 6/2010-2/2011, Intro to ASD, Antioch University, ABA Certificate Graduate-level program, Department of Applied Psychology, Keene, NH
Graduate Teaching Assistant, 1/2009-5/2009, Methods for Behavior Change, Simmons College, Masters Behavioral Education, Department of Behavior Analysis, Boston, MA
Kelly, A. N. (2013). Effects of presession pairing on challenging behavior and correct responding for children with autism. (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from Simmons College.
Hassert, D., Kelly, A. N., Pritchard, J.T., and Cautilli, J. (2008). The Licensing of Behavior Analysts: Protecting the Profession and the Public. Journal of Early and Intensive Behavior Intervention, p 8-19.
- Advisor, Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies, March 2012-Present
- Sub-Committee Member, BABAT Mar 1, 2012 Social Event, Oct 2011-Present
- Program Committee Member, Behavior Change for a Sustainable World Conference (BSCW), Aug 3-5, 2012, Association for Behavior Analysis: International (ABA:I), Nov 2011-August 2012
- DBA-SIG Poster Presenter - Spreading the Word: Disseminating the Science, Association for Behavior Analysis: International (ABA:I), Dissemination Behavior Analysis (DBA) Special Interest Group (SIG), May 2010, May 2011, May 2012
- BACB Accredited Continuing Education (ACE) Provider, 2010-Present
- Simmons College, ABA Reunion Coordinator, ABA:I, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Behavior Analyst Networking Dinners (BAND), Co-Creator and Co-Coordinator, May 2009-March 2010
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Behavior Assessment and Intervention in Children, May 2010
- Autism Internet Module Creator, Functional Behavior Assessments, University of Ohio: Athens, Ohio, 2008
- Dissertation Defense, Effects of Presession Pairing on Challenging Behavior for Children with Autism, April 24, 2013, Simmons College, Boston, MA
- Symposium, Effects of Presession Pairing, April 5, 2013, 3rd Annual MassABA, Bentley University, Waltham, MA
- Panel Discussant/Chair: Ethical Considerations Across Treatment Settings, October 12, 2012, BABAT 33rd Annual Conference, Amherst, MA
- Symposium: Reducing Challenging Behaviors, October 11, 2012, BABAT 33rd Annual Conference, Amherst, MA
- Poster Presenter: Using Global "Go Green" Initiatives to Guide Future Practices within the US, August 4, 2012, ABA:I Behavior Change for a Sustainable World, Columbus, OH
- Panel Presentation:
- Poster Presenter: Tapping the Natural Environment to Promote Graphing Skills, May 2012, ABA:I 38th Annual, Seattle, WA
- Panel Discussant/Chair: Family and Client Perspective on ABA Services, March 23, 2012, 2nd Annual MassABA, Waltham, MA
- Introduction to ABA and BIP, February 2012, July 2012, Salem State, Special Education Guest Lecturer, Salem, MA
- Making Teaching Stick with a Click: An Overview of Teaching with Acoustical Guidance (TAG), December 19, 2011, SEEM Collaborative Type 2 CE event, 1 hour
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA): A Participant's Perspective, Co-presented with student, June 20, 2011, SEEM Collaborative Type 2 CE event, 1 hour
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA): A Participant's Perspective, May 31, 2011, ABA:I 37th Annual Denver, CO
- ABC's and BIP's, May 9, 2011, SEEM Collaborative ABA Home Therapist Training, 1 hour
- Stimulus Fading, Stimulus Prompts and Response Prompts, March 14, 2011, SEEM Collaborative ABA Home Therapist Training, 1 hour
- Instructional Control, November 22, 2010, SEEM Collaborative ABA Home Therapist Training, 1 hour
- ABC's of ABA, November 18, 2010, Woburn Public Schools, Presented to Special Education Paraprofessionals, 2 hours
- Asperger's and Public Education: Challenges and Strategies, November 2, 2010, Lynnfield Public Schools, Presented to Middle School and Special Education staff, 1.5 hours
- Autism and Behavior Management - ABC's of ABA, October 26, 2010, Stoneham Public Schools, Presented to Paraprofessionals, 2 hours
- Parameters and Delivery of Reinforcement, October 25, 2010, SEEM Collaborative ABA Home Therapist Training, 1 hour
- Tips for Teaching in Home & Community Settings, September 27, 2010, SEEM Collaborative ABA Home Therapist Training, 1 hour
- ABA: What It Is and What It Isn't, February 2010, Woburn (Massachusetts) Public Schools, Parent Advisory Committe (PAC), 2 hours
- What is Autism, March 2009, Triton Regional Preschool Grant, 2 hours
- Functional Behavior Assessments: Rules, Rationale, Methods and Procedures, January 19, 2009, Lorman Education Services, Understanding Individuals with Asperger's Syndrome or High Functioning Autism, 2 hours
- Functional Behavior Assessments (FBA), How-To, April 2007, Cambridge Public School District, Training for School Adjustment Counselors and School Psychologists, 3 hours
- ABC's of ABA, May 2006, Cambridge Public School District: Morse Elementary School, Presented to Regular Education K-4 grade teachers, 2 hours
- Intro to Applied Behavior Analysis, March-May 2006, Cambridge Public School District,1-credit Masters level course for Classroom Teachers, School Adjustment Counselors, and Instructional Assistants, 10-hours
AANE - Asperger Association of New England - The Asperger’s Association of New England (AANE), one of the first Asperger Syndrome organizations in the United States, was founded in 1996 by a small group of concerned parents and professionals, shortly after the diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome (AS) first appeared in the U.S. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (edition IV). AANE builds a supportive community by providing education, information and referrals to individuals with AS, their extended families, and the professionals who assist them.
Association for Behavior Analysis: International (ABA:I) - Since 1974, the Association for Behavior Analysis International®(ABA International®) has been the primary professional organization for members interested in the philosophy, science, application, and teaching of behavior analysis. ABA International provides many services to its membership and the field.
ABA:I SIG - Dissemination of Behavior Analysis (DBA) - If you are interested in the dissemination of our science of Behavior Analysis worldwide, this is the place for you. DBA is looking to take Behavior Analysis out of its pigeon-holes, and really publicize the potential to develop global solutions in all realms of life.
Association for Profession of Behavior Analysts - The Association of Professional Behavior Analysts (APBA) is a new organization with the primary mission of serving the needs of professional behavior analyst practitioners credentialed by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB).
Berkshire Association of Behavior Analysis and Therapy - (BABAT) - BABAT supports and promotes the professional practice of applied behavior analysis in Massachusetts. To accomplish this goal, they...